Chicken gyros with spicy feta are so delicious and packed with so many scrumptious flavors. The Greek chicken is the star of the show. The Greek chicken coupled with the refreshing tzatziki sauce, fresh veggies, and spicy feta, are perfection. You will love it!
I love Greek food, it’s so good and packed with flavors. I had created a recipe for grilled Greek chicken and was looking for ways of turning it into different meals. What better recipe than these chicken gyros with spicy feta? I love gyros specially the typical lamb/beef gyros, but these chicken gyros with spicy feta are so good. One of my favorite condiments in this recipe is the spicy feta. I was first introduced to spicy feta years ago, at a chain restaurant called Daphne’s. A co-worker and I would love to go to Daphne’s and order a salad with this spicy feta. This spicy feta adds another layer of spicy goodness to this recipe.
How to make spicy feta
Making spicy feta is super easy. You just need 3 ingredients, feta cheese, cream cheese, and harissa. I purchased the harissa at Trader Joe’s. You mixed all the ingredients in a bowl and you are done! I have made harissa from scratch before, but I find that it’s a lot of work and there is not a big difference. I love making things from scratch, but I also find that somethings are better to purchase, only if it does compromise taste and you save time. For the feta cheese, I like to buy the block of cheese and then crumble it. The one that comes crumbled already, is a little dry.
This is the harissa I use from trader joe’s.
How to make tzatziki sauce
Tzatziki sauce it’s so easy to make. First, you will peel and grate the cucumbers. Next, you will place the grated cucumber in a cheese cloth and squeeze out the water. Then in a bowl, add all the ingredients and mix together. For best results let it marinade for 30 minutes or a little longer. You can use the tzatziki sauce as a dip, it tastes so good with flatbread, pita bread, veggies, etc. For the yogurt I use whole milk Greek yogurt because it is creamy and delicious.
Grilling or baking the chicken
For this recipe the best method is grilling the chicken, but we don’t always have access to a grill, so I have including the baking instructions. But if you do have access to a grill I urge you to grill the chicken instead.
How to make chicken gyros with spicy feta
To make chicken gyros with spicy feta you will need to marinade the chicken first. It’s best to do it overnight, but if you don’t remember to do it the day before, you can marinade it for a couple of hours. Before grilling or baking the chicken make sure you do the tzatziki sauce and spicy feta.
Grill or bake the chicken and when it’s done, slice the chicken and cover it with foil. Grilling and baking instructions are on the recipe below. Slice the cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onions. To slice the cucumbers and because I like being fancy sometimes I used this peeler.
Now, put together the chicken gyros with spicy feta. In a pan, heat the flatbread for a couple of minutes. Once they are warm, place it on a plate, add a dollop of spicy feta and spread it. Then add the cucumber, tomato, chicken, red onions, mint leaves, and a dollop of tzatziki sauce. And Voila! you have super delicious chicken gyros with spicy feta.
Chicken Gyros with Spicy Feta
Grilled Greek Chicken
- 1 lbs. boneless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon thyme chopped – fresh
- 1 tablespoon oregano chopped – fresh
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 1 zest of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 4 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon harissa store bought
- 1 Persian cucumber peeled & grated
- 1 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tablespoon dill fresh
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup Greek yogurt whole milk Greek yogurt
- 4 flatbread middle Eastern flatbread
- 1/3 red onion thinly sliced
- mint bunch – fresh
- 2 cucumbers thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes Sliced
Marinating the chicken
- In a gallon size resealable bag combine all ingredients except the chicken. Mix well until well combined.
- Add the chicken to the bag with the marinade, press out the excess air from the bag, and seal tightly.
- Massage in the marinade around the chicken, place the bag on a bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- if you don’t remember to marinade the chicken the day before, you can marinade it for a couple of hours.
- Before grilling the chicken make sure you do the tzatziki sauce and spicy feta.
- Crumble the feta cheese in a bowl and add the cream cheese and harissa. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and its done.
- Peel and grate the cucumbers.
- Place the grated cucumber in a cheese cloth and squeeze out the water.
- In a bowl add all the ingredients and mix together. For best results let it marinade for 30 minutes or a little longer.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat, then place the chicken on the grill. While cooking, turn the chicken to create grill marks. Flip over the chicken and continue cooking until desired doneness. The safe cooked temperature for chicken is 165 °F (with an instant-read thermometer), but I like to keep it a little longer.
- Take the chicken off the grill and cover with aluminum foil. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes.
- To bake the chicken, place the chicken in a single layer of a baking dish. Roast the boneless chicken thighs for about 20 minutes, until the temperature reaches 165 °F (with an instant read thermometer). The thighs roast quickly so keep an eye on them.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and cover with aluminum foil. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes.
Chicken Gyros with Spicy Feta
- Slice the chicken and cover it with foil. Slice the cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions. Divide these in four so it’s easy to assemble.
- Now, put together the chicken gyros with spicy feta. In a pan, heat the flatbread for a couple of minutes. Once they are warm, place it on a plate, add a dollop of spicy feta and spread it. Then add the cucumber, tomato, chicken, onions, mint leaves, and a dollop of tzatziki sauce. And Voila! you have super delicious chicken gyros with spicy feta.