Chicken Lettuce Wraps is a delicious starter or meal. The combination of chicken and veggies is delightful. A lot of yummy flavors with a pop of crunchy texture.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps is a delicious starter or meal. The combination of chicken and veggies is delightful. This dish is not only delicious, but is low on carbs too.
I remember the first time I had chicken lettuce wraps, it was at a Chinese restaurant, and I absolutely loved them. My friend and I, stumbled upon them because at the time we were in search of a low-carb meal. When we tried them we were in heaven, so light and the lettuce so refreshing. After that day we went to that restaurant for lunch at least once a week. Our excuse was “they are low on cabs, a perfect meal!” I don’t know why I didn’t try to make them before, I didn’t realize how easy they were to make.
It’s a delicious meal and it doesn’t feel heavy in your stomach. It has a lot of interesting flavors and the texture of the water chestnuts brings a nice crunch to the dish. I like topping them off with crispy rice noodles, it adds another crunchy texture to the dish. For this recipe I used butter lettuce but any lettuce will work. I know at some local places by my house they use iceberg lettuce. You can serve it as an appetizer or make a meal out of it. I served these as a meal the other day and they were a crowd pleaser. For the hubby I added some steam white rice and he was satisfied.
These are the noodles I used – Thin Rice Noodles
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Chicken Lettuce Wraps is a delicious starter or meal. The combination of chicken and veggies is delightful.
- 1 pound chicken minced or ground
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ tablespoon ginger minced
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms chopped
- 1/4 green onions bunch - thinly sliced
- 1 8 oz can water chestnuts roughly chopped
- Butter Lettuce
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce dark
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- crispy rice noodles see notes
Make the sauce by adding the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil, and sriracha into a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add chicken and sauté until it’s no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the skillet.
Add 1 tablespoon of oil into the skillet and add the garlic, ginger, onions, and mushrooms. Sauté for about 3 minutes. Add the sauce and cook for another 3 minutes.
Stir in the chicken back into the skillet and sauté for about 3 minutes.
Stir in the chestnuts and green onion and sautéed for about a minute. Fill each butter lettuce leaf to your liking and Voila ready to serve!
- I like to use avocado oil, but you can use any type of oil.
- I bought chicken breast and minced it in the food processor. It was more cost effective than purchasing ground chicken. I cut them into 1-inch pieces and put handfuls at a time in the food processor and used the pulse setting until I reached the desired size. if you're going to do this method make sure you pat fry the chicken with paper towels.
- For directions on how to fry the rice noodles visit this site for directions Click Here