This Steak Sandwich is everything you need and more. The thinly sliced beef is cooked to perfection. The cheese melts perfectly on the steak and is topped with the most delicious toppings. Its easy to make and you will have dinner on the table in no time.
The toppings play a big role in this Steak Sandwich recipe. The toppings consist of tomatoes, onions, pickles, dressed with olive oil, Italian seasoning, white wine vinegar, and salt. All these ingredients combined, make the most delicious steak sandwich.
This Steak Sandwich was inspired by a local small sandwich shop I used to eat at, about 20 years ago. The shop was a hole in the wall, and it’s called Matt & Tony’s Submarine Sandwiches. Not sure if Matt & Tony’s are still around, since I have moved far from there. I hope they are, because those sandwiches were very tasty.
What makes a good steak sandwich?
What meat to use?
To make a good steak sandwich you must start with the right cut of meat. For this steak sandwich the best cut of meat is beef shaved steak. It comes very thinly sliced, cooks very quickly, and it’s very delicious. I bought the beef shaved steak at my local supermarket. Beef shaved steak would also work for philly cheesesteak sandwiches. I have tried a thicker cut of meat and it does not taste as good. If you can find the beef shaved steak, I highly recommend you purchase it and make this sandwich. Below is a picture of the beef shaved steak.
How to thinly slice steak
If you are not able find the beef shaved steak, buy a steak and freeze it (about 20-30 minutes), till it firms. Once firm, take it out of the freezer and thinly slice it. This methods allows you to thinly slice it. Thawed steak is hard to thinly slice.
What type of bread?
The second important thing you need is good bread, you can use a hoagie, French bread, rolls, or your favorite bread. I found fresh rolls at the store, those are the ones you see in the picture.
What toppings to use?
The toppings you put on your sandwich have a big impact. For this steak sandwich the toppings elevate the sandwich to a higher level. The tomatoes, onions, pickles, olive oil, white wine vinegar, and Italian seasoning marinade together, to make the most delicious toppings. Marinade the toppings for a better flavor, but if you are short on time you can eat it right away.
Here is another delicious recipe: Chicken Brie Sandwich
- 14 oz shaved steak packages
- 1.5 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1.5 teaspoon soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 slices white cheddar or more
- 8 rolls
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 1 cup dill pickles diced
- ½ onion diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pickle juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Add all the ingredients for the toppings into a bowl and stir until well combined. Cover and let it marinade in the refrigerator.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the beef shaved steak, then add Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Stir until beef is cooked (about 2-3 minutes). Do not overcook the steak. When it’s almost done cooking, spread the steak over the skillet and top the steak with cheese. Once the cheese starts to melt remove from the heat.
- Slice the rolls/bread and toast on a skillet with butter.
- Spread with mayonnaise the bottom roll/bread. Divide the cooked steak evenly among the rolls/bread. Add the toppings and place the top bread portion on top of it. And Voila!
- For the bread you can use a hoagie, French bread, rolls, or your favorite bread
- If you are not able find the beef shaved steak, buy a steak and freeze it (about 20-30 minutes), till it firms. Once firm, take it out of the freezer and thinly slice it. This methods allows you to thinly slice it. Thawed steak is hard to thinly slice.
Walkiria ZareiApril 25, 2020 at 3:38 am
Amazing sandwich!! So fast to make and taste delicious!!! So Yummy!!
AyraApril 25, 2020 at 4:57 am
So glad you enjoyed it!
Paul RobinJanuary 13, 2021 at 12:47 am
Matt & Tony’s on Victory Bl in V an Nuys, and on Sepulveda in Mission Hills. The Mission Hills one is still open. There never was a Matt. It was just Tony and he called it Matt & Tony’s.
AyraJanuary 13, 2021 at 1:24 am
I didn’t know there used to be a Van Nuys location. I am glad they are still around, their steak sandwiches were so good. That is a fun fact about their name. Thanks for sharing.