This is one of the best Thai coconut shrimp soup I’ve had. The layers upon layers of flavors this soup offers are so delicious. You get pops of coconut, lemon grass, ginger, lime, red curry flavors. Absolutely delicious! Even though this recipe its soup it can be a main entree by adding a bowl of rice.
This Thai coconut shrimp soup was inspired by a version I used to order when I was younger. My family and I would order from Thai restaurants and we would order the Thai coconut shrimp soup. My whole family loved it. We all loved shrimp and soup, this soup always made it to the table. I love the creaminess of the coconut milk and the hints of lime from the kaffir leaves and the lemon grass. The shrimp takes it to a different level. We once ordered a version with chicken, but it was definitely different. We prefer shrimp! If you rather have chicken then you can substitute the shrimp for the chicken.
Since I love Thai food and I always order Thai coconut shrimp soup at restaurants. I was looking forward to trying to make it at home and guess what? This Thai coconut shrimp soup is much better than the restaurant version. It’s a must try if you like Thai soups. I have made this soup for several of my family members and they always love it. They go home asking for the recipe. One of the things I loved about this Thai coconut shrimp soup was the layers of flavors this soup offers. You can also eat it as an entrée by adding a bowl of rice. My husband usually does not like having soup as entrées, but he ate it with a bowl of rice and was satisfied.
I was able to get fresh lemon grass from the farmers market, but you can find it at the grocery stores. As for the other ingredients these are the brands I used.
Red Curry Paste – Mae Ploy Brand
Fish Sauce – Three Crabs Brand
Coconut Milk – AROY-D
Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup
- 2 tablespoons oil (I use avocado oil)
- 2 inches ginger (1 inch wide - ¼ inch slices)
- 2 stalks lemon grass (1 inch long sliced diagonal)
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 40 ounces coconut milk
- ½ pound mushrooms (shiitake or brown mushrooms)
- 2 lbs Shrimp
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (fresh)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cilantro (chopped, fresh)
- ¼ cup basil julienne, fresh
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- In a large pot, pour the oil over medium heat, add the lemon grass, ginger, and red curry paste. Cook for about 3 minutes to allow the ingredient to release their flavor.
- Then slowly add the chicken broth, Kaffir lime leaves, and continue to stir until all ingredients are combined. Add the sugar and fish sauce and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, coconut milk, and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp and cook until the shrimps are no longer translucent, about 5-10 minutes depending on the size of the shrimp. Remove kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass, and ginger. Stir in the lime juice and salt. Garnish with basil and cilantro. Enjoy!