Peruvian Causa Rellena is a layered potato dish, made with potatoes and chicken salad. It is so tasty bursting with delightful flavors.
Peruvian Causa Rellena is a layered potato dish, made with potatoes and chicken salad. The potato layer has a citrus flavor with a spicy kick from the aji chili paste, the chicken salad layer brings a creamy texture to the dish. Coupled together it creates a delicious dish that can be served as an appetizer or a light meal. If you haven’t tried Peruvian food I advise you to do so. This dish it’s easy to make and it’s a great addition to your meal prep menu.
I first tried causa rellena in high school, it was a sunny summer day and one of our classmates had offered to share one of his mom’s dishes. I’ve always been eager to try new foods, but I am a bit hesitant when it’s coming from someone I’ve never met. Although if you think about it when we go to restaurants its always from people we’ve never met (few exceptions). I guess the professional grade kitchens make us more at ease.
Back to the story, with hesitation I tried a piece of the causa rellena. I am so glad I did because it was very good. I pestered my classmate for many days to get the recipe. He kept forgetting to ask his mother for it. I wasn’t the only one asking either, a few others were very eager to get a hold of that delicious recipe. He finally told us the main ingredients and I was able to replicate the yummy dish. That was the first Peruvian dish I had tried and it made me want to try other Peruvian dishes. Since then I have tried many other Peruvian dishes and I have liked them all. Let me tell you Peruvian food will not disappoint you.
Peruvian Causa Rellena
- 2 chicken breast roasted - large breast
- 12 oz peas and carrots frozen bag
- 10 yukon potatoes medium size
- ½ cup mayo
- salt and pepper
- 2 limes
- 2-3 tablespoons aji chili paste
- Peel potatoes and cut them in half. Place in a pot of water and bring to boil. Once they’re fork tender, remove them from water, let them cool, and use a ricer or potato masher to mash the potatoes until a smooth consistency (mash potatoes consistency).
- For the chicken, use skinless boneless chicken breast cut into 2-inch pieces, place it in a saucepan in water, enough to cover the chicken. Add a pinch of salt and bring to boil under medium-high heat, then reduce the heat and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Cook vegetables as directed in the bag.
- Mix aji chili paste and lime juice, combine with potatoes, until it’s well combined. You will see the color change to yellow, add salt to taste.
- Shred chicken, then combine with vegetables and mayo.
- In a baking dish, layer half of the potatoes (bottom layer), layer the chicken salad (middle layer), then layer the other half of the potatoes (top layer). You are done! Ready to serve. I like to cut it into squares for serving.